Think: $1.67 a day!
If you're 13 years old and you save $50 every month until you're 18, you'll have $3,000.
You might think, "I can't save that much a month!"
Oh, yes you can! Think about it in smaller amounts.
Fifty dollars a month is about $12.50 a week, or $1.67 a day. An easy way to save $1.67 a day is to skip the cafeteria and take your own lunch to school.
If you don’t get an allowance, you can save some of your birthday and holiday money. You also can do odd jobs for your family, friends, and neighbors on weekends and during your summer vacation.
If $50 a month is too much to manage, set a smaller goal. The main idea is to get started and to be consistent. You can raise your goal later.
Here are more ways to help you reach your savings goal:
- Keep your eye on your goal. To keep you motivated, find a picture that illustrates your dream and put it where you’ll see it everyday.
- Drop all your spare quarters and dimes into a special container. Coins will add up quickly.
- Control your impulse spending. When tempted to buy something, ask yourself if that purchase is more important than your dream.
- Leave your money at home. Carry only the cash you'll need for the day so you won't be tempted to spend it all.
- Let your money earn interest. If you have the time, deposit your money into a savings account or a 30-month add-on certificate at Sun Federal CU to earn interest. You can keep making deposits into either account while the interest earned boosts your savings.
With a little self-control and some patience, you’ll soon be living your dream!